Timber frames are a quick and efficient solution for your self-build or extension project.
What are timber frames?
Timber frames are an alternative to traditional masonry construction. They can be used either on new builds or extensions and are extremely popular with self-builders, but are also gaining significant popularity among developers.
The timber frame system consists of using boards of timber structure which are nailed together to produce the frame of the house. The frame itself is usually built in a factory and then assembled on site.
There are lots of different configurations of timber frames, and you can have insulation, voids, and even some services pre-configured and specified into the frame itself.
Accurate measurement, drawing and planning is key with a timber frame construction, as the frames are manufactured offsite. Any adjustments discovered at the construction phase will be costly and cause delays.
Why Choose a Timber Frame?
Timber frames are becoming an increasingly popular choice for those choosing to build their own homes. There are some very good reasons why:
- Fast lead times – timber frames are quick to manufacture and install
- They can speed up your build time – once the frame is up and the roof is on your structure will be water-tight. Bricklayers can be working on the outside whilst plumbers and electricians are working inside!
- They’re thermally efficient – wood is naturally warmer than traditional concrete blocks saving money on future energy bill
- Reduce foundation costs – a timber frame only requires 50mm cavity space for insulation (compared to 150mm for traditional block work) reducing the dimensions and material cost of your foundation
- Increased accuracy – with panels manufactured off-site to the exact dimensions, you can be confident of an accurate finish.
Our Timber Frame Manufacturing Process
Site visit & quote
Why choose ete?
We take care of the whole process of getting your timber frame project designed and manufactured. A structural engineer will take care of drawing up the plans and we will manufacture the timber frames on site at our Watton workshop.
Constructing your timber frame
Your timber frame will be delivered straight to your site across Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire. Each panel is numbered making construction of your building really quick and easy. In fact, your house could be built in just one day!